This post is one of those journaling moments that you need to remind you it is all worth it in the end. Although the house is constantly a mess, the kitchen floor always feels crunchy and I never quite have the time that I would like to do everything I want to, I do have cute kids. Canon is a pain sometimes, but he also has some adorable moments. Savana is just plain cute.Right now we have a bedtime routine for Canon that includes taking a bath, reading books and going to bed in his new big boy bed, which is a mattress on the floor. It makes a perfect little bed for him. Sometimes, when he is in his room playing or listening to his music, he just sits on the edge of his bed because it is the perfect little height for him. Anyway - back to the bedtime routine. He picks 3 books that we read. His selections are interesting sometimes. The most interesting is when he wants to read Dr. Seuss. We're not talking "Cat in the Hat", the only Dr. Seuss I have is a big Treasury of Dr. Seuss that includes "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and "The Lorax" During Christmas he really liked "The Grinch" which he referred to as "The Chrischris story." Now he is into "The Lorax." If you don't know that story, it is actually quite political, which is why I feel so funny reading it to him. I'm sure he doesn't understand it all, but he must like the pictures or something, because he will sit through the entire story. Tonight we read an alphabet book (we always have to sing these books), and a selection of "Monster" books (Seasame Street monsters). We read these in the big rocking chair with his blankie and dadoo (sippy cup of water) by his side. Then as soon has we are done reading he jumps down and runs (always runs everywhere) to his bed. He asks for "Acot Tree" (Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree) song and for Mommy to snuggle him to sleep. I lay next to him and listen while he sings "Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree." I'm actually impressed at how many of the words he can sing and sings right along with the CD. Then he makes sure his blankie is somewhat over his head and is usually asleep by about two or three songs.
Earlier this week, Canon was so sweet. He was having such a good day. He waited patiently while I did a load of laundry and put Savana to sleep. He just said "OK Mom" when I told him what I needed to do. This is in contrast to the crying and pulling on my arm that so often his response. I wish I knew what triggered this good day. He even told me it was time to turn off the TV after only 2 of his regular 3 morning shows!!! Anyone who knows Canon, knows this is a miracle. Anyway - I put Savana down for morning nap and rotated some laundry through and then came and sat on our chair with Canon. As soon as I sat down with him, he took the three books he had wanted me to read with him and ran into his room. I could tell he was doing something, so I went to see if I could help him out. He had put the three books he wanted to read in the box with the other 20 in the set and was trying to carry the whole box of books back to the rocking chair. How can you say no to reading a whole box of books to a 2 year old when he is being so cute! We spent the next 30 mintues reading 17 Disney Baby books.
Savana also melts my heart. She is too little to be anything but adorable right now. She is such a good natured baby and just goes with the flow. She has become so interactive and has the cutest little bounce when she is happy. If you are holding her when she does her little bounce, you almost feel like you need to hold on with two hands because she feels like she is going to bounce right out of your arms. This cute little bounce is a progression from her little head shake she started with last month. When she is happy she just starts shaking her head back and forth as fast as she can while she has the biggest smile on her face. Anyway, my favorite time with her right now is while I am nursing or just rocking with her in my arms as she is getting ready to go to sleep. She always reaches up and just touches my face (sometimes it feels like she is going to rip my nose off, but it is usually just a gentle touch). My favorite is when she reaches for my hair and just likes to have her fingers in my hair. She doesn't usually even grab it, she just likes her fingers in it.
I love rocking chair time with my kids!
2 comments:
Oh I want a big big chair to rock my kids. One that can fit me and 2 kids. Maybe some day. That is one thing I regret not getting from the very beginning. You can't rock your kids forever.
Aww, that is cute. Don't you love the good toddler days? Then you decide you will keep smiling. :) Maybe I should buy a big chair with our tax return...
Post a Comment