Devastation
When I came downstairs this morning, if I had to give one word to describe the “devastation” which ran through the entire house, it would be abandoned. Whatever activity that had passed the day before lay before me almost as if a moment in time had been paused momentarily.
With two of you now to make the mess, I admit I just can’t keep up. I can spend my entire day cleaning up after you both and you follow right behind me undoing everything that I just put straight. I cannot begin to describe my frustration, and because you often go to bed when I do, I neither have the energy nor the inclination to tidy up at the end of the day. Hence, the abandoned scene that not just welcomed me this morning, but every other morning for the past week, month, even year.
But as I nurse Luke from my chair and look around, I no longer see a mess, but the creative play of my children. I see the sun catching a dainty pink shoe in the middle of my kitchen floor left by a practicing princess, a slice of plastic pizza placed on my desk just in case I might be hungry, several abstract art pieces placed with love on my refrigerator, a baby tucked up sound asleep by her nurturing Mommy, a building block placed precariously on a DVD and a juice cup abandoned in a quest for more play. Yes, it is a mess for sure, but I’m not sure I would have it any other way.
I am beginning to realize how quickly the years will pass. It will not be long before you have families and homes of your own and my longing for tidiness will come all too quickly. While I find it hard to cope with now, I find comfort in the fact that it’s a reminder, even when you’re sleeping, that you are never too far away.
3 comments:
That's great! Now I want to see evidence. :)
I love that. I try to enjoy the mess. But I get nervous about what I am becoming when I get comfortable with it. But I think I'll always want to be clean so I'm sure it will come back someday.
So cute...I should print this up huge somewhere. It's 9:30pm, and all the kids are asleep, finally! I am sitting here at the kitchen table and my foot is sticking to the floor. Am I loving it! No, but I will...
Thanks Heidi!
Post a Comment