Saturday, October 17, 2009

Fall Fun

I haven't added to our blog in a few weeks, so I wanted to write a little on what has been going on in our Grant world lately. Fall is in full swing here in Michigan. The weather is brisk and the leaves are falling. The trees are beautiful and creating a huge pile in our back yard. One of Savana's favorite games is to kneel tall and then do a belly flop into the leaves. That is actually her game a lot. She does a tall kneel and then belly flops into my lap, into pillows on the bed, and even across Seth or I if we are laying down in front of her. The picture of her above might be of her getting ready to do a belly flop or she might be just throwing the leaves up in the air, another favorite game. (I can't remember what she is doing) She does that with a ball in the car all the time, like she is playing catch with herself. She LOVES balls and anything round right now. When she sees balls, she does a high pitched baby babble, points and gets so excited with big eyes. It is pretty cute. She is starting to say a few words, but the thing that has stolen our hearts lately are the hugs and kisses. She does a cute little MMMMMMMMAA when she gives kisses to us and more lately to her dolls and stuffed bears. I love watching her reach for her stuffed bears and give them tight little hugs and snuggles. As far as the walking thing goes, we are still working on it. We are still going to the classes two times a week, and she is getting stronger. This weekend they let us bring home a little Savana sized walker. Apparently you are not supposed to help a baby walk with their arms above their head. Who knew. Amazing that anyone walks! Anyway, she loves walking with it. She just can't turn or back up, so if we set her walking, she will usually just keep going until she runs into the wall or a piece of furniture. The she screeches until someone comes to save her. I'm hoping that she is walking by Christmas! She will be 18 months old by then. Like a mom said to me, someone has to be at the bottom of the Bell Curve. Well, that is our Savana when it comes to walking. She is going up and down stairs, so I think there is hope.

Now on to Canon. He is growing up so fast. It is funny to see him becoming a little boy, and not a toddler anymore. He always reminds us that he is a little boy, and not a baby. Unless of course that day he is pretending he is a dog, or a cat or even an elephant. The elephant bit didn't last as long as some of the others because it required holding a shirt to his nose, which I imagine was kind of a pain. His days are spent on our couches making them into a rocket ship, or boat, or house, or dog house or just throwing all the pillows on the floor and jumping into them. He is constantly rescuing his stuffed dog, or the rocking horse from trouble. He even told me last week, as we were walking around the Fire Station Open House, watching all the firemen do their thing, that he wanted to be a Fireman when he grows up and rescue people. It was funny to hear that. That was the first time I've heard him talk about what he wants to do when he gets older. Actually I think he said "Mom, I want to go to work and rescue people." I wonder what he will do when he gets older. The thing that made us smile at each other today was when he was playing and he said something about a "freaking car". We both looked at each other and silently blamed the other for using that word. He is using phrases a lot that he hears in shows, books and that he hears us say. It really makes you remember that he is very aware of what is going around him. You have to be careful. Maybe thats why it's part of Heavenly Father's plan, to be a parent, it makes you have to be a better person, just for them. Canon also loves his weekly trips to the library. We go to story time and then check out a book, DVD or CD. This week I think was the biggest hit yet. We checked out a Little Einstein CD. He wants to listen to it ALL the time. He sits on his bed and just listens and then does the actions they call for. It reminds me of what little boys probably did before TV, sit and listen to their favorite shows on the radio. Soooo intently. If I go in and make any kind of noise, he tells me to turn up the sound. This morning we were laying in bed and heard him get out of bed, trip over a toy and then turn on the CD player himself, and probably jumped back in bed under the covers.

Well, I think I've covered the highlights. There are so many times during the week that they do stuff and I think, "I need to write that down." I'm trying to do better - because it will be fun to read when they are older. Well, Savana is in talking to her crib mobile, so I guess it's time to go get everyone ready for church. Have a great week!

2 comments:

Haley and James said...

Loved your post! I cracked up reading about Canon's antics because it reminded me of Ashton. The other day Ashton said, Mom, let's save money so we can fly in an airplane and see Canon. We'll try! And Savana is so stinking cute! Loved the pic of her. I'm sure she'll be walking soon!!! Miss you guys!

Heidi said...

Haley,
We're coming again at Christmas. We'll give you a call to play :)